Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Jackie Johnson

While teaching at Yuma High, I had the great opportunity to coach volleyball and basketball for seven years. One of those athletes, Jackie Johnson, went on the play basketball and track at ASU. She is a tremendous athlete. She was a great student, too, as I was her Junior English teacher. Anyway, she led the ASU track team to several NCAA championships. She graduated from ASU last year and participated in the Olympic Track and Field tryouts in Oregon at the beginning of July. We watched her compete with anticipation and excitement. She came in 2nd in the heptathalon Olympic tryouts, so she is headed to Beijing! I saw her Nike Olympic poster on her facebook site yesterday. She sounds good and looks great on the track. I can't wait to watch her next month! It is so neat to watch former students/athletes with whom I have worked excel in whatever they do!
Way to go, Jackie!

1 comment:

Liz said...

Oh how awesome is it to be part of someone's sucess in life. that is so neat! Reminds me, how do you feel about being a teacher? I want to go back to school and get a degree and one of my choices was a school teacher. Whats your input?