Sunday, August 22, 2010

Miracles and babies

I've been thinking a lot about the miracle of birth--wonder why--and reflecting on my children and my situation. It dawned on me that between family and friends in the past 6months, I think--maybe year, that three people in my circle of family and friends have had preemies. They are all the most adorable babies and two are still working on mortality. Sitting at 35 weeks and only 4 weeks and 2 days until delivery, I reflect on this and marvel that though I would have LOVED to have had little Ethan in my arms all summer long before having to leave him home with daddy every day whilst I go off to a classroom full of hormonal teenagers, I am so thankfulfor the trials that have been mine with this pregnancy. They really have been minor--I threw up a lot more this time--I got quite a few minor health issues--like a cough that took two diferent rounds of antibiotics, the scare of a uterine rupture, chest pains from a fall, some you probabaly would rather not hear about, and even the gestational diabetes. (And the cough is coming back, too--ugh!) But my babies all seem to be so cozy inside the womb that they don't even feel the need to try coming on their own. Amelie was at 41 weeks and ended up being a c-section because she was still so high up that the doc couldn't reach her; Eric came by c-section at 40 weeks, 5 days without a single contraction or dilation; Tanner, even at a scheduled c-section of 39 weeks and 2 days, without a single contraction or dilation, either; and so far, though I have had more braxton hicks than with the others, I think Ethan is quite happy for the time being adn when he comes at 39 weeks, 2 days, I am guessing he will not have tried to come on his own, either. And that's okay because I would rather us both come through the delivery healthy and whole than suffer through the risks that a normal delivery might present. Still, I can't wait to hold this little baby in my arms and cuddle him tight and love him to death. After Amelie was born, I really didn't know how it was possible for parents to share the love they feel for one child between more children. For some reason, I thought it would take away the love I felt for one child to give to another. I have since learned that is not true. I love all six children so much, I could not imagine life without them and don't know what I would do if one were to leave me prematurly. They are each so different and so unique. And each one brings something different to me. I love being a mother and helping my wonderful husband raise these precious spirits in righteousness. What a blessing I thought I would never have!

No comments: