Saturday, August 21, 2010

The Winds of Change

No matter how old we are or what role we play, it still seems to be an anxious moment when the principal wants to see you. Last Friday, our principal told me he needed to meet with me, so after our meeting, I followed him into his officew where he pulled out his claendar--what?! I thought I would get it all over with then and there, but I had to wait all weekend--not an easy task. I am sure I imagined every possible scenario from the very good to the very bad. Needless to say, Monday morning was a little nervewracking. I got to the school early and fiddled around in my room for a while and was still down at the office 10 minutes early.
I didn't necessarily have reason to worry, but it certainly wasn't all good news. The other French teacher, to whom I owe my job (we had met at the Open House and I spoke to him in French-he knew I was teaching at the Middle School. So when the openeing for a French teacher came at the high school in November last year, he personally called me and asked if I would please apply!), for personal reasons, was on leave (and has since resigned) and would I be willing to switch my schedule around and take the French IV IB students? Oh, is that all? It means no Freshman, no class of 30 Freshmen--instead, 8 Seniors in the International Baccalaureate program (an honors program recognized worldwide), all college-bound, typically top-notch, bright, motivated students. I think I can handle that.
IT saddnes me to lose a colleague and a friend. He was truly a tremendous mentor as far as French teaching goes. He certainly knew his French amazingly well. And students really liked him. He was always helpful and worked hard on the curriculum--and shared what he did with me. Needless to say, he will be missed. But, we also must move on and take acre of this school year. As of yesterday, my schedule changed again. I will teach 3 French II classes (including Billy!), 1 French III (the students I had last year, so that should be a pretty easy adjustment) and the French IV IB class. So, all French--the new teacher will take all the French I's (4 classes) and my Mythology class. I am sad to lose Mythology as I thoroughly enjoyed it and worked q fair amount on it, but I am excited to teach all upper level French! So, with only the weekend, Monday and Tuesday before students arrive, let's just say I have a lot to do! Plus, the new teacher is the one I was originally going to have cover for me during my short maternity leave. Luckily, there is another substitute teacher I can fall back on there to help. So these are the winds of change . . .

1 comment:

Anna said...

Not to pick on you or anything but for an English teacher you have more typos than I would expect. :)

I am sad you aren't teaching Mythology too - but it will be nice I am sure to have a little less grading to do.