Thursday, August 7, 2008

The Newest Allen




On July 28 at 8:16 a.m., we welcomed Tanner James Allen to our growing family. He came out very vocal--in fact, all the doctors and nurses in the OR with us commented on his very healthy set of lungs. His pediatrician even said she had never heard a newborn quite so loudly announce his arrival. And then he promptly peed on her. Oops! But that was not our only surprise at his birth. He was born at 39 weeks while Amelie and Eric were both basically at 41 weeks. Good thing we didn't wait any longer as he fooled us all with his size! At 9 lbs 12 oz, he caught us all off guard. We lost a whole pound before we left the hospital but is now back up slowly but surely to 9 lbs. 4 oz.
The delivery went exceptionally well. I have a wonderful OB and my Bishop was the anesthesiologist so we were in very good hands. Jim got to see them pull Tanner out and I got to hold him just minutes after he was born! The lactation nurse had me nursing him within 15 to 20 minutes or so after his birth--the doctors were still patching me up on the other side of the curtain. It was quite the miraculous experience.
Tanner is a wonderful baby--he had to be on a billibed here at home for a few days, but he's much better now. He smiles and is so curious as he takes in his surroundings. Tiffany and Mary laid claims on him right away, taking turns holding him in the hospital. Amelie was just so excited to finally see his face and touch his soft skin. Eric wanted to see 'that Nanner baby' and kiss him over and over again. Billy can calm him like no one else--Tanner knows his big brother! we sure love him and are so thrilled he has joined our family!

8 comments:

Debbie Allen said...

What a wonderful family! You are an awesome mom.

Angie said...

Congrats Kara! We've had our last two babies around the same time. I'm happy you guys have a blog. We will be checking up on you.

Linsey F said...

Yay! For baby Tanner and Yay for having a blog! We got your announcement in the mail today! So cute...he is adorable! Congrats!

Garcias said...

Kara! Congratulations! He is so cute! Your family is so cute! Tell Tiffany and Mary I miss seeing them. Thanks for the announcement!

PEHNelson said...

Congrats Kara! Glad to hear you are doing well! I think of you often!!! Love ya!

Liz said...

Alright, go Kara. That is going to be a story to remember. I have such memorable deliveries with both my kids. Makes it easy to recall certain memories. He looks adorable.

Rebekah said...

He is beautiful and it sounds like you had a great delivery, too! Love your blog!

Channon said...

Oh my goodness, I don't know quite how I have come across your blog, but I am so glad I found it. Your family is so beautiful. congrats.