Friday, March 13, 2009

I'm a 9-12er, are you?

If you aren't sure what I am talking about, you have to start watching Glenn Beck on Fox News. This is not a political stand, but a united stand of American citizens who believe in the truths and values that build the foundation of our country. When I taught American Lit, I always thought it was interesting that one of the first pieces they had included in the textbook was the Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin and his 13 Virtues. I made sure I focused on these and often had students write about a virtue and why it was important to them. Well, Glenn Beck has asked America to stand together, no matter what our religious or political views are. I remember 9-11 vividly and he has asked us to remember who we were and how we felt and what we did the day after: 9-12. He has also put together 9 principles and 12 values that I believe wholeheartedly. I am taking the 6 month challenge to work on being that person and standing for what I believe in because I want to make a positive difference in this nation--in the world--and I am not alone.

"... I am here to tell you something important: You are not alone, and if you believe in a majority of these nine principles then keep watching because I am going to prove it to you to.
1. America is good place, not perfect, but good.
2. I believe in God and He is the center of my life.
3. I must try to be a better, more honest person than I was yesterday.
4. The family is sacred. My spouse and I are the ultimate authority.
5. If you break the law you pay the penalty. Justice is blind and no one is above it.
6. I have a right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness and not a guarantee of equal results.
7. I work hard for what I have. I will share it with who I want to. Government cannot force me to be charitable.
8. It is not un-American for me to disagree or share my personal opinion.
9. The government works for me. I do not answer to them. They answer to me.

I didn't pull these out of thin air. I borrowed from scripture. I got them from the Founding Fathers. And honestly, a lot of these principles are just common sense.
This is not a partisan thing. This is not about elephant or donkey, liberal or conservative. This is about Americans making their voices heard.
Now it is time for Step 2 and we add the 12 Values.
They are:
• Honesty• Reverence• Hope• Thrift• Humility• Charity• Sincerity• Moderation• Hard work• Courage• Personal responsibility• Friendship" (from Glenn Beck)

2 comments:

The Harris Family said...

Yup, I'm a 9-12er! I watch Glenn Beck everyday. I definitely relate to his perspective of the world more than other news programs on television these days!

Allen Family said...

I'm with you!