Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Bike Ride

I have to exercise everyday--at least almost every day--to keep my blood sugar levels down. It's usually a bike ride with the kids or a walk. Tonight, since I figured I had left my phone in my classroom where I had been trying to get some work done, we could bike up there. Amelie has only ridden her bike twice since her training wheels came off, but she was all for it. Ans she did great! She did fall over the curb once when she tried to go up on a higher curb than the on flush with the street.
The excitement came on the way home--she was right in front of me--usually, I am in front or directly beside her. She was coming to an intersection, but the other directions had stop signs, so I told her we were going straight. Only, there was a big truck coming. Still, he had a stop sign. Thank goodness I was watching closely. He slowed but was about to blow the stop sign and hit Amelie when I screamed and he slammed on his brakes, missed her by maybe a foot. I have never felt my heart beat faster or my pulse jump so rapidly. Needless to say, I yelled at the guy, before moving on. Poor Amelie. She just kept riding away. She said, when I asked, that she was a little scared, but other than that, it didn't seem to phase her like it did me. However, she was more attentive when I asked her to stay right beside me.
Man! Nothing like that to get your blood really pumping!
Then, I had my phone in my pocket, which I don't usually do--it's usually in the trailer with the noys. Well, it fell out and, of course, this was the one time that a car was actually behind me. I circled around and all I could do was watch as the jeep pulled into their driveway, right over my phone! UGH! It still works just fine, but the front is a little smashed. Thank goodness it works or I would be without communication for a while! Still, there was so little traffic all along our way and the two times cars were close, one nearly hits my baby and one runs over my phone. Maybe we should stick to taking walks!

2 comments:

Linsey F said...

That is so scary! I am glad he heard you yell and no one got hurt! What a blessing!

Rebekah said...

Oh that's terrible! Soooo glad Amelie is fine! So sorry about your phone, though. Staying healthy can be hazardous to your health.