Saturday, January 17, 2009

Mr. Gunny

As part of Amelie's Joy School, we are introducing a Mr. Gunny Bag this week (lucky me, I get to teach). Mr. Gunny bag is a pillowcase that we are going to draw a face on and I am going to put a drawstring around the opening as his mouth. Any toy that Mr. Gunny finds on the floor, he eats. He may give it back if the kids are good, but if he eats it a second time, it is gone indefintely. Amelie, Eric and I have been talking a great deal about Mr. Gunny all week. Amelie has been quite worried about when he is going to come to her room and I assured her we would not see him until she and I had properly cleaned her room together so as to give her a fresh start. I don't think she has decided if she likes or desn't like Mr. Gunny--sometimes he scares her (the idea of missing toys, really) and sometimes, she is excited to prove that she can keep her room picked up.
So, in preparation for Mr. Gunny's arrival, the kids and I cleaned their rooms and categorized their toys--Princess toys here, baby doll stuff here, play food here, guns, swords and bats here, balls here, cars, airplanes and trains here, ... you get the idea. And finally, tonight, we finished. I am just praying that they keep their rooms picked up now--I have been threatening to do something like Mr. Gunny for a long time and now, thanks to Joy School, I will be implementing it. So, let's hope Mr. Gunny is going on a diet!

4 comments:

Channon said...

i love this idea!!!!! i need mr. gunny in my house

Carolyn said...

I love that idea also. I have done things a little different. One a month I go into the kids room and help them do a deep clean of their room. Anything they haven't played with in a long time goes to kids that don't have toys ie salvation army. And anything that is broken we throw away. It seems to be working for now.

Linsey F said...

Good idea. I think he needs to visit our house!!

Lisa Love said...

Great idea! Will you post a picture of Mr. Gunny - I'm a little LD and need a visual.